Family Newsletter - Winter Quarter 2021
Check out everything that's happening with Hillel at Stanford!
For additional information about each program - click on the arrows below:
Get connected and stay up-to-date with Hillel!
- Invite your student to sign up for our weekly student newsletter, Chailights here.
- Invite your student to join the unofficial Stanford Jewish email listserv, Kibbitz here.
- Students and parents can stay in conversation with each other and Hillel on our facebook page and on Instagram @hillelatstsanford
- Grad students can sign up for our twice-monthly newsletter here. Hillel at Stanford grad students are also on Facebook and Instagram!
SHEFA: Spiritual resilience, Holistic health, Emotional wellbeing, Food security, and Abundance for the Stanford Jewish community and beyond
- If your student is on campus and having a harder time than usual finding affordable nutritious groceries, we invite them to sign up for our sliding scale (up to free) farm box program, #SpreadingPlenty. We know many of our students feel like there is greater need in the community, but if paying for groceries places even a little discomfort on your student or your family, we encourage them to sign up for this pilot.
- Hillel is proud to offer students two completely free and confidential wellness services -- RUACH & BRIEF Therapy.
RUACH - Short-term support for immediate emotional and spiritual needs. The service is inclusive and accessible for people from any or no denominational or religious background.
BRIEF Therapy - Coaching/counseling for 5 or fewer sessions dealing with issues including self-motivation, career trajectory, personal relationships, and more.
Serve The Moment: Mobilizing students to direct service and advocacy
- We are thrilled to have been granted funding for a Serve the Moment Campus Corps Fellow through Hillel International and Repair the World. Senior April Ball will be serving as our fellow this quarter. She will be creating 10 acts of service & education opportunities to mobilize other students to do hands-on direct service and working to create long-term change around issues of inequity in our campus community. These programs will be available to students who are on- and off- campus.
- April will be officially beginning her role as Winter quarter starts and she has several service events in mind that students could participate in no matter their location! Programs will be added here as they are planned.
- We are continuing our Israel-leadership roundtables and this month we're meeting Einat Wilf, a former Israeli politician who served as a member of the Knesset for Independence and the Labor Party. Date and more information to be updated here.
- Our Israel Learning Fellowship will take place virtually this quarter, led by our Israel Fellow, Leeya Fryder. It is an accessible series of sessions about Israeli culture, history, and politics for anyone who wants to learn more and engage in meaningful conversations with peers! There are 7 sessions that meet on Tuesdays at 5:30pm for an hour and a half. We keep it very interactive and the students will get a stipend upon joining so spots are limited. No prior knowledge needed to join. Weekly topics will include art, ethnic cuisine, activism, politics, and more! People who can't commit to a cohort but choose to join 3 tours/experiences are entering a raffle to get Israel-related Book of their Choice. Fill out this form to sign up.
- For our Israel Book Club we'll be reading the book "Be Strong and of Good Courage: How Israel’s Most Important Leaders Shaped Its Destiny" by ambassador Dennis Ross and David Makovsky. We’ll then host the authors for a conversation with our students. Date and time will be updated here.
- We are excited to be sponsoring two Cardinal Quarter fellowships for the first time ever! Over the summer, two Stanford students will receive funding and guidance to give their time to a Jewish organization committed to furthering the values of equality and giving back to the community. Stay tuned for applications going live.
- Cardinal Quarter is a University-wide program that has been in place for many years (more info here). However, this is the first time that Hillel will be funding its own Cardinal Quarter students.
- The final deadline for summer applications is March 15.